I haven’t done one of these posts since (gasp!) December, and there are so many interesting plant stories I want to share with you! I hope you enjoy this batch!
- Frost weed (Verbesina virginica) doesn’t grow here in Alberta, so finding this post about it was something “new and cool” for me. Are you familiar with this plant?
- It’s time to sow your seeds (perhaps it’s even too late in many regions!). If you live in Canada and want to source out companies that sell organic heirloom or rare seeds, check out this comprehensive list.
- Have you heard about the devastation of Impatiens walleriana by downy mildew? Find out what is going on and pursue the “grow or give up (and for what?)” debate here. Will you risk planting Impatiens this year?
- Some of you will be pruning your roses already…others will be digging out from the
10 cm(5 cm, actually – it just FEELS like more) of snow we received yesterday on top of the 20 cm we had four days ago. (I’m not bitter at all, really!). 😉 Here’s a quick guide to getting your roses in tip-top shape.
- If this is the year you plan to espalier your apple trees, then take a look at this handy post.
- I really loved this entry I came across about the Floating Gardens of Inle Lake, in Burma (Myanmar). Has anyone travelled there and seen these?
- I don’t know if any of you have to deal with armadillos as a pest in your garden, but this article really freaked me out. I’m glad I only have to tangle with rabbits and squirrels. If armadillos are a problem where you live, do you take the measures this writer recommends?
It’s almost the weekend…yay! How are you planning to spend it?
- Mysterious Flower-Killing Mildew Makes Gardeners Lose Impatiens – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Lack of impatiens a blow to gardeners (triblive.com)
- Winter interest. (floweryprose.com)