Way back in the summer of 2006, when I was still working in a garden centre, a grower brought me a flat of samples. I don’t recall what else was in the tray, but I know there was one alpine strawberry plant (Fragaria vesca ‘Alpine’) tucked in there with the rest. It came home with me and I planted it in a completely forgettable place behind a lilac. Over the years the lilac has grown and the little strawberry hideaway has gotten a bit tangled with quackgrass (my excuse is that I can’t/won’t reach back there to pull it – I mean, there could be spiders or beetles or something on the lilac and they might get in my hair)…
…but, as strawberries are wont to do given time and space, my single plant has been quietly evolving into a little thicket.
I’m so pleased! We’re looking at a “bumper” strawberry crop this year! 😉
Do you grow strawberries of any kind? What are your favourites?
- Growing Your Own Strawberry Garden (proflowers.com)
- And it was all yellow. (floweryprose.com)
- 5th May – Trumping Bluebells (nicboardman.wordpress.com)
- Perennial abundance (elkinsparkfarm.wordpress.com)
- Sunday Photos: Pretty !! (notdabblinginnormal.wordpress.com)
- Strawberry & Mint Soda (citytosticks.com)
- Passion Fruit Crème Recipe With Elderflower Strawberries (greatbritishchefs.com)